7) Visitor Services
- Parking is conveniently arranged along the Museum site with easy access from the highway. Buses and longer vehicles please wath for signs where special parking is located
- Traffic is one-way along the front of the Museum, so please watch for the entrance signs from the highway which are clearly marked
- Parking is also available across the highway 3/95 and accessible by a special crosswalk directly in front of the Museum entrance doors
7.2 Pedestrian Access
- Walking to and from the Museum is very convenient along the walking/cycling pathway from all directions, from the parking lots, from the Prestige Hotel and Van Horne Park, from the downtown area via the new crosswalk across highway 3/95 or along the path to the former Museum site and across a controlled light intersection and into the downtown.
7.3 Handicapped Access
- A handicapped lift services the four levels of the main museum buildings; information on this can be obtained at the front counter.
- Access for handicapped for viewing the cars is not possible due to restricted spaces in the cars, and the fragile varnished walls in narrow hallways and tight corners.
- When the permanent viewing corridors are completed between tracks #1 and #2, viewing the interior of the cars through the windows will be possible.
- A lift services the four levels of the main museum buildings, and information on this can be obtained at the front counter.
7.4 Railcar Viewing Corridors
- The Museum has constructed a temporary 600 foot-long raised and roofed "viewing corridor", with ramps, for easier access to and from guided tours of the the cars on track #1 and #2.
7.5 Gift Shop - Museum Store
Click here for details.
- The Museum has large and well-appointed washrooms conveniently located just off the main entrance.
- Automatic faucets, electric dryers, excellent ventilation are some of the features of these facilities capable of dealing with many people at a time.
- Pets cannot be permitted in the building or railcars.
- Legitimate guide dogs for the blind are permitted.
7.8 Backpacks and Other Large Items
- Larger items cannot be carried into the fragile paneled cars, and visitors may want to leave these items in their cars. This includes large packs, cameras or larger video or camera equipment, and baby carriages, etc.
- Staff may be able to find space for some smaller items to be stored temporarily for a tour, but this cannot be guaranteed. Security for items left cannot be provided.
7.9 Railcar Tours Group Booking and Maximum Numbers
- The historic railcar collection is large and valuable with extremely fragile paneled interior so accessis with a tour guide only.
- The maximum number per tour with a guide is 10, and cannot be exceeded under any circumstances due to safety and museum security requirements, as well as to maintain a quality tour in the small spaces of the fragile-paneled railcars.
- There is no provision for exceeding 10 people/tour due to safety and security requirements, as well as to maintain a quality tour in the small spaces of the fragile-paneled railcars.
- There are several tours of specific parts of the collection, and prices vary according to age, (senior, student, family, etc.) the number of tours booked, and the number of people in groups, if applicable.
- It is essential that all groups over 10 pre-book their tour to guarantee a time and place on the tour schedule. Groups over 10 must be divided into groups not exceeding 10. Extra tour staff must be arranged for in advance, so pre-booking is essentia.